Friday, November 12, 2010

About two years ago I graduated from the School of Visual Arts at Radio City with a big decision to make. This decision isn't exactly what every College Graduate asks themselves. Assuming that it could be, What am I going to do for the rest of my life? How the hell can I afford my way out of living at home? Who is going to hire me? All seem minuscule to this one."Rebecca, where are YOU going to eat with your family after the graduation?" Dun dun duuuuuuuun.......

Luckily, at the time I was wrapped up in the food culture of the Chelsea Market and the Meatpacking District's 'greatest gift', the Highland was still an undetermined project. In that area it just so happens next to Del Posto, scaffolding and brown butcher paper covered the port hole shaped windows with promising signs of a new Restaurant to google. April Bloomfield and her chef de cuisine, Josh Even, were preparing this restaurant on Tenth Avenue to be their baby. I practically became a Bloomfield fan the second my mouth found out about sweetbreads so by that summer my reservation was in prior to the May kick off date. I told my immediate family that we would be celebrating our very own version of the Feast of Seven Fishes. Weeks past and I guess the nicest way to put it is that Bloomfield and her partner in crime (partners at The Spotted Pig, The Breslin, and basically everything at the Ace Hotel) fucked it up by telling the world it was going to be a three-star restaurant even before doors opened. "If April had been sitting there next to me, I wouldn't have said that" so says Friedman. And so this silly story ends with a canceled reservation at the first The John Dory and a new table fit for Kings in Madison Square Park at Shake Shack with a Champagne toast for my last great meal.

Anyway, I bring to you on opening day THE JOHN DORY 2.0! Happy Birthday!

Menu:
BAR SNACKS

ROASTED SALTED PEANUTS With
GARLIC AND ROSEMARY $4
SPICED CASTEL VETRANO OLIVES
WITH TOMATO $5
POTATO ROLL WITH CHAR PATe $9
CHILLED CRAB WITH AVOCADO $10
CARTE DE MUSICA WITH SHAVED
BOTTARGA $5
EEL AND PARSLEY PIE $11
ANCHOVY AND PARSLEY PESTO
ON TOAST $4
PICKLED OYSTERS WITH GIROLLES
AND PANCETTA $18
SHRIMP AND POTATO TORTE
WITH SERRANO HAM $14


COLD PLATES

ESCAROLE SALAD WITH CREAMY
ANCHOVY DRESSING $10
SMOKED HADDOCK TERRINE
WITH HORSERADISH $11
BOSTON MACKEREL ESCABECHE
WITH SEA BEANS $19
BURRATA WITH TROUT ROE,
SYLVETTA AND MINT $20
OCTOPUS IN SHERRY VINEGAR
WITH POTATOES AND AIOLI $18

HOT PLATES

OYSTERS ROCKEFELLER $15
OYSTER PAN ROAST
WITH UNI BUTTER $19
MAINE LOBSTER CHOWDER $17
MANILLA CLAMS
WITH BONE MARROW $16
STUFFED MUSSELS WITH
VEAL AND MORTADELLA $19
ROCK SHRIMP WITH POLENTA $14
TROTTER GEAR BLACK BASS $21
BAKED SHELLFISH AND
ONION PANADE $13

No comments:

Post a Comment